I started by sanding the bronze with 80 grit sandpaper on my double action right angle sander. Then I worked my up through 120, 180, 220, and 320. I performed the final sanding by hand with 400 grit wet/dry paper. There were some defects and scratches that were too deep to eliminate as I would have had to remove too much bronze. All these parts, save the oil lamp brackets, will eventually load up with green verdigris anyway so a mirror finsh is not required. Next, I took the parts to the buffing wheels. The way it works is once the buffing wheel is spinning you touch the stick of abrasive to the spinning buffing pad and then start polishing. After lots of polishing with the black abrasive I switched to the brown. You keep polishing till you have the finish you want. In between I had to use my Dremel with very small polishing wheels to work some of the tight corners. I was never able to really polish out the inside flat parts of the bow roller because I could not get my DA sander in there. The procedures were the same for the other bronze parts as well.
The most exciting part of the whole event was in the last couple of minutes of the final polishing my 10 year old makita grinder gave up the ghost and caught fire! There were flames and smoke. I quickly unplugged it and dragged it out of the shop by the cord. I took it as a signal that I was done polishing. Though I learned a lot about polishing I have a real appreciation for the quality of work and the product produced by PTF. Their products do not require any work . . . they are ready to install. Nonetheless, I am satified with these parts and as I have all along I Iearned something new as I rebuild the Far Reach.
I hope to get back to installing overhead insulation this coming week.