It took the better part of the day but the sculling oar is mostly complete. It's about 16'5" long and will eventually, I think, be about 15' 6". The work was fairly straight forward though it was very hot and that made it a long day. After removing the rough cut oar from the clamps I knocked the dried excess resorcinol off with a belt sander. After that I used my 7-10-7 gauge to mark the loom and then proceeded to remove waste to turn the loom into an 8 sided shaft. After roughing it out I refined the octagon with a low angle block and smoothing plane. I also worked on the bade for a while though it will require some finish work tomorrow. Next, I used the power plane to knock the peaks off the 8 sides and turn the loom into a 16 sided shaft. After that, it was grunt work . . . spoke shave, sanding paper, long board, etc, I was drenched in sweat. I think it turned out pretty well. It is perfectly straight. I still need to refine the blade and cut the handle. I probably leave it wild till I am sure of the correct length. It was a fun project. Some people paint the blade white to protect it from checking. Others oil it. I am not sure what I will do but will definetly not varnish it. Probably, I'll oil the heck out of it then leave it to see what happens.