Note: I added another page under the "Projects" page that should allow smart phone and iPad users to access the separate projects via hyperlinks. I don't know why but it seems that smart phones can't access the drop down menus.
I noticed that the molded fiberglass threshold was not flat and there was a gap under the threshold. So, I applied packing tape to the underside of the teak threshold and also taped around the threshold where I did not want epoxy. I left a small gap at the front end so there would be a place for bedding compound to be applied. I then trowled on epoxy thickened with 406 and some 404 and pressed the teak threshold into place cleaning up the squeeze out. I left it for three hours then gently pushed up on the threshold till it popped off the cured epoxy. I now had a perfectly molded surface for the threshold. That completed the day.
I looked at the next part of the trim—a long side rail on either side of the companionway and a center piece attached over the forward thrwartship edge that connect the port and starboard side trim. I decided to put the forward center part in first. I used some doorskin plywood strips and a hot glue gun to make a template then used that to cut a test piece from ¼ ply. It fit fine. I then traced that onto a piece of teak that I milled down to ¾” thick. I cut it and then spent about 45 minutes rounding the outside edges with a cabinet maker’s rasp to fit into the correct position. I cut the rounded top edge with a jig saw then used a block plane to smooth it out to a nice even arch. The trim rises about 1” above the fiberglass lip of the companionway opening to keep water from dripping down inside the boat. The water runs out through little channels molded into the lip. But, the sliding hatch needs to be able to clear the raised teak edge. That took some time to ensure I had it right. Then, I screwed then center piece in place. Next, I cut the two side pieces. I painstakingly measured the angles and very carefully “snuck” up on the lines. I was very satisfied with the final fit. I did not screw the side pieces into position. I will do that tomorrow. All the bottom edges need to be trimmed even. The center piece needs to have an arch cut along the bottom edge as well. Once everything is fit together and some of the remaining trim is added then I will radius the top edges of the trim. I am very pleased. I enjoyed “flinging” the plastic covered cardboard “door” I have used for the last four years off the boat and took some pleasure sliding the drop boards into position.
This morning I applied the final coat of varnish to the cabinet doors. I should be able to hang them tomorrow morning. Next, I spent a couple of hours removing winches and some hardware from the mast and boom. Most of the hardware came off easily enough but a couple of pieces were stubborn and required a propane torch and PB Blaster to be convinced to let go of the mast. Then, I spent about two hours disassembling the winches and performing an initial cleaning in a mineral sprit bath. I don’t think they have ever been cleaned and they were pretty gummed up but they seemed to clean up nicely.